Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Farewell, Wellington

Bade farewell to our hosts and set off for Napier, on Hawke's Bay on the east coast. I have to confess that I didn't notice much about the journey today - perhaps because we have a car rather than a camper van, and are therefore going slightly faster. We certainly have a less commanding view of the road.
Arrived at our rather 1960's motel. It reminded me of Butlins at Minehead in the 70s - not one of my favourite places. Still, it's clean, the water's hot and the beds are comfortable. Drove up to Bluff Hill lookout after dinner, and were rewarded with the most fabulous, expansive views over the whole of the Hawke's Bay area, right up (just) as far as the Mahia Peninsula, which must be 80-90km away, I reckon. It was beautiful in the clear evening sunlight. As usual, I could have stayed longer than anyone else. Instead, we drove back down the hill admiring the houses, including several which were for sale. (I noted the following day that in the estate agents' they were all listed as 'Price by Negotiation'.)
Haven't seen much of Napier's famed Art Deco architecture yet.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?