Monday, December 12, 2005

The Luge

Our first day in Queenstown, so we took it slowly, trying to resist the pressure to indulge in adrenalin sports. Oh, and of course in another one of those I'm-turning-into-my-father-in-law moments (sorry, Peter) I ran over the van power cable, damaging it, so we had to go & get that replaced, which took an hour or so.
Then we went up to Bob's Peak on the gondola for views over the town, and to try their luge tracks. The luges are sculpted plastic trays on wheels, with handlebars and brakes, and there are two tracks, the 'scenic' and the 'advanced'. The scenic is supposed to be slower, but when ridden flat out, can still be pretty scary. We pottered and then hooned down. Sarah and Erin stuck to the scenic route, and Max and I tried both. The advanced is quite a bit more scary, and indeed on the last run, the one when I lost my mobile phone, I got air over one of the jumps because I was distracted by Sarah trying to take a photo and forgot to brake. Huge fun for all of us.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?